LAURIE C. DRILL-MELLUM, MD, MPH
Chief Medical Officer
“We are a company, founded by and for physicians, that has expanded its reach and service to care for both those who provide and those who receive health care. To be a part of such an important mission and vision is inspiring and motivating.”
Laurie Drill-Mellum, MD, brings over 30 years as a practicing physician to help guide Constellation’s work of supporting health care organizations in order to free physicians and other clinicians to focus on their mission: to help, to heal and to serve. An MD with a master’s degree in public health, she brings a physician’s perspective as well as that of patients and family members in Constellation’s efforts to promote patient safety and mitigate risk.
Dr. Drill-Mellum’s passion for, and background in, the studies of culture, behavior, leadership and integrative medicine fuel her commitment and drive in serving the mission of Constellation. She reminds us of, and provides insights to, health practitioners’ perspectives, challenges, and lives; she is a fierce advocate for the wellbeing of those practicing medicine on the front lines of care and the critical importance of supporting them when they’ve been involved in a patient-harm event. Preventing these events and mitigating harm once they occur is the core of her dedication to her work.
In her free time, she unwinds at her 1886 German-built hobby farm with her husband, cats and dogs, spending as much time as possible outside enjoying the peace and quiet of the natural surroundings. She and her husband relish gathering with friends and family in their restored home and barn.
- BA, Anthropology, Pomona College, Claremont, CA
- MPH, University of Minnesota School of Public Health, Minneapolis, MN
- MD, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, MN
- Emergency Medicine Residency, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN
- Fellowship, Program in Integrative Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
Professional and Community Service
- Board Member, Minnesota Alliance for Patient Safety, Minneapolis, MN
- Board Member, Stratis Health, Minneapolis, MN
- Advisory Board, Physicians Serving Physicians, Minneapolis, MN
- Behavior at Work Collaborative, Minneapolis, MN
- Member, American and Minnesota Medical Associations
- Faculty, Healers Art course, University of Minnesota Medical School, Twin Cities, MN
- Faculty, course in leadership ethics, in the Executive master’s program in Healthcare Administration, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, MN