Constellation Privacy Notice
Updated: January 9, 2020
This Privacy Notice applies to Constellation Mutual.com and Constellation’s and its subsidiaries’ or businesses operating under the Constellation portfolio of brands, including, but not limited to MMIC Insurance, Inc., UMIA Insurance, Inc., Arkansas Mutual Insurance Company, and InsureCAREteams™, a product of MMIC Insurance, Inc., and UMIA Insurance, Inc., (collectively, “Constellation,” “us,” “our,” or “we”) websites, portals, products and services that collect data and display these terms (collectively, “Sites”). This Privacy Notice does not apply to Constellation Sites that do not display or link to this statement or that have their own Privacy Notice.
We understand that you are aware of and care about your personal privacy and we take that seriously. This Privacy Notice describes Constellation’s policies and practices for collection and use of your personal information.
We do not knowingly offer or sell products or services to children. Our Site is not intended for anyone under 13 years of age.
We do not offer or sell products or services outside the United States and has not sold personal information in the last 12 months.
Constellation provides insurance products and services to fulfill the insurance needs of customers and potential customers. Personal information is necessary to obtain employment and insurance applications, provide quotes, coverage, administer policies, investigate or process claims, and to communicate with you about your policy or to respond to your inquiries, Constellation may now or at some future time collect, cause to be collected, use, disclose or transfer your personal information.
Personal information collected may include protected health information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) amendments. Applications for coverage ask about previous claims made against you and the team managing claims may need medical information to provide claim services.
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants additional rights to California residents. For specific information for California residents see the section “Your rights (California Residents)” below. Note that some business-to-business (B2B) transactions are temporarily exempt from the CCPA requirements. Additionally, information that is regulated by Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the HITECH amendments, and certain sector-specific information are excluded from the CCPA.
Constellation may collect and process the following categories of personal information. Please note that the specific information collected on any individual can vary depending on their relationship with Constellation.
The following categories include some illustrative examples of the types of information that may be collected in each category:
Category 1: Contact information (such as name, address, email, phone number, cellular phone number)
Category 2: Personal identifiers (such as social security number, state medical license number, national provider ID, claim information, policy information)
Category 3: Employment/occupation information (such as current or previous employer name, work experience, educational information)
Category 4: Demographic information (such as age, date of birth, gender)
Category 5: Health information (such as medical history or records)
Category 6: Biometric information (such as fingerprints, voice recordings, photographs/images)
Category 7: Financial information (such as a bank account number, credit score)
Category 8: Geolocation (such as city, state, zip code, physical location or movements)
Category 9: Training credentials (such as dates and location of programs, license status)
Category 10: Professional actions (such as past claim experience and licensing board actions)
Category 11: Internet or other online activity (such as IP address, browsing information, device type, operating system duration of session)
Category 12: Inferences (personal information may be used to create a profile reflecting an individual’s preferences, behaviors, attitudes and abilities)
Sources of Information
Constellation may collect your personal information from the following sources:
- You or your designee
- Your employer
- Other insurance entities (such as other insurers, agents and brokers, third-party administrators)
- Credit agencies
- Government and non-government databases of public information
- Claims adjusters
- Other third-party service providers or business partners
Personal information about a minor
Constellation does not knowingly collect personal information from minors without a parent’s consent.
Purpose for collection
Constellation may collect, use or share your personal information for one or more of the following reasons:
- To deliver and develop products and services. Constellation may use your personal information deliver purchased products and services. For example, to properly underwrite your policy, to provide services, to process payments and to investigate, evaluate and defend claims. We may use your personal information to evaluate current and new products and to meet the needs of our customers.
- For customer service and to respond to your inquiries. Constellation may use your personal information to respond to your inquiries, to deliver services, to participate in and trend Customer forum topics, to deliver and trend assessment results, to measure customer satisfaction and to assess our performance.
- For security and information technology. Constellation may use your personal information to manage customer information, develop IT business strategy, services, products and solutions. We may also use personal information to maintain and protect the integrity and security of our website, systems and databases.
- Constellation may use your personal information to communicate important information to you about services, policy changes and other communications relating to the administration of your insurance product and services.
- Constellation may use your information to deliver content using your preferences, to develop marketing and sales strategies and opportunities, to request participation in surveys, to track campaign success or to notify you and promote new products and services.
- Internal business purpose. Constellation may use your collected personal information for internal purposes such as developing strategy, performing key back-office processes, for enterprise risk purposes, for data analytics , for audits, to develop new products and services and for monitoring use of and satisfaction with services.
- We may use personal information collected from you, our business partners or from public sources to conduct research to improve care and outcomes and may share data with academic and professional entities.
- Regulatory and legal. We may use your personal information to comply with our legal or regulatory obligations, including prevention of fraud.
Constellation may disclose your personal information for business purposes to the following types of business partners:
- Subsidiary businesses. Your personal information may be shared with Constellation’s current and future affiliates, subsidiaries or organizations.
- Service providers. Constellation may share personal information with third-party service providers who provide services such as data analytics, identify verification, IT services, payment processing and other operations as necessary to perform their functions. We require them to implement measures to protect the security and privacy of personal information.
- Commercial partners. Constellation may share personal information with unaffiliated organizations who partner with us to deliver services such as reinsurers, brokers, appointed defense counsel and claim professionals (some of these transactions may be temporarily excluded or not subject to the CCPA). We do not sell personal information to partners for marketing purposes.
- Government authorities, to respond to a court action and Constellation may share personal information with government authorities, including, but not limited to courts, law enforcement, to comply with applicable law or a legal process, to enforce terms and conditions, to respond to regulatory audits and to enforce Constellation’s rights under our terms of services.
- Other third parties. During the normal course of our business, Constellation may share personal information with payees; organizations; credit bureaus; credit reporting agencies; individuals involved in an incident that is the subject of a claim; prospective purchasers or other parties in any actual or proposed merger, divesture, restructuring, reorganization or other sale or transfer of some or all of Constellations assets.
- At your direction. Constellation may use and disclose your personal information as you otherwise consent.
During the last 12 months
Constellation has shared the following categories of personal information for business purposes: Category 1; Category 2; Category 3; Category 4; Category 5; Category 6; Category 7; Category 8; Category 9; Category 10; Category 11; Category 12.
Constellation may track aggregate data and navigation patterns about users who log into the secure portal section of our website. Constellation does not track customers when they cross to third party websites and does not provide information for third party advertising to them.
Types of cookies placed on the Constellation sites may include:
- Necessary. This type of cookie is necessary for the website to function properly. These cookies can only be disabled through your browser settings.
- Performance. These cookies are used for website analytical purposes. We utilize this type of cookie to understand website performance and to enhance our content.
- Functionality. This type of cookie enhances functionality and your ability to properly view content on the website. If you do not allow this type of cookie, some features of the website will not work properly.
- Targeting and advertising. This type of cookie is used to create a profile and to provide personalized content. Constellation does not place targeting or advertising cookies on our Sites.
You are always free to block, delete, or disable these technologies if your browser, application or device allows. However, if you decline cookies or other similar technologies, you may not be able to take advantage of certain Site features or tools. For more information on how you can block, delete, or disable these technologies, please review your browser or device settings.
Relation to third party websites
When using this Website, you may be directed to or select a link to another website, such as to make a payment, for website functionality or for social media plugins. We do not control, nor are we responsible for, the privacy practices or content of third-party websites and applications, including social media sites linked to on the Constellation sites. These websites may use their own cookies, and we do not have control over the placement of cookies by websites you visit, even if there is a link on our website.
Do not track
Constellation identifies visitors to the website when they enter through a marketing communication and when users log into the customer portal. Constellation does not track customers when they cross to third party websites and does not respond to Do Not Track signals.
We maintain administrative, technical, and physical safeguards and require our vendors to meet acceptable privacy and security standards. We restrict access to your personal information to those workforce members who need to know your information in order to perform their job duties and to provide services to you. We provide ongoing training and regularly test our security technology.
Updating or correcting your information
We take steps to ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up-to-date. For us to process requests for corrections or to provide information about categories of personal information collected, you will be asked to provide information for verification purposes. If the request is about another person, contact us for information on obtaining their written authorization.
Your rights (California residents)
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act, verified residents of California are entitled to specific rights. Please note that some of the personal information collected may include information that is either temporarily excluded (B2B) or information not subject to CCPA.
- Right to request. You have the right to request that Constellation disclose to you the categories of personal information collected, the purpose of the collection, and any disclosures of personal information to third parties. You may also request the specific types of your information collected in the last 12 months. Constellation will respond to your request within 45 days. This right is limited to twice every 12 months.
- Right to opt-out. You may opt out of the sale of your personal information. Constellation has not sold any personal information in the last 12 months.
- Right to delete. You have the right to request that Constellation delete, your personal information. This right may verification of your identity and is subject to limitations and exceptions under the CCPA.
- Right to non-discrimination. Constellation will not discriminate against you for exercising any of the rights granted under CCPA. Currently Constellation does not utilize financial incentives as permitted under CCPA. Should this change, Constellation will comply with the applicable notice and opt-in requirements.
To submit a request
To contact Constellation via postal service:
7701 France Avenue South, Suite 500
Minneapolis, MN 55435-5288
MMIC Insurance, Inc.
7701 France Avenue South, Suite 500
Minneapolis, MN 55435-5288
UMIA Insurance, Inc.
310 East 4500South, Ste. 600
Salt Lake City, UT 54107-3993
Arkansas Mutual Insurance, Inc.
11300 N. Rodney Parham Road, Ste 220
Little Rock, AR 72212
For other questions:
Changes to our privacy notice
We reserve the right to amend this notice at our discretion and at any time. When changes are made to this Privacy Notice, we will post the updated notice on our website and update the effective date. Your continued use of our website following the posting of changes constitutes your acceptance of such changes.
If you have questions about this privacy notice or how we handle personal information, please contact us at: Privacy@ConstellationMutual.com