Constellation Privacy Notice
Updated: January 13, 2021
This Privacy Notice describes how Constellation, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates including, but not limited to, MMIC Insurance, Inc., UMIA Insurance, Inc., Arkansas Mutual Insurance Company, MMIC, Risk Retention Group, Inc. and InsureCAREteams, a product of MMIC Insurance, Inc., and UMIA Insurance, Inc., (collectively, “Constellation,” “us,” “our,” or “we”) collect and use your information. This Privacy Notice includes information collected off-line and information collected on our websites, portals, products and through services that collect data and display these terms (collectively, “sites or websites”). This Privacy Notice does not apply to Constellation websites that do not display or link to this statement or that have their own Privacy Notice.
We understand that you care about your personal privacy and we take that seriously. This Privacy Notice describes our policies and practices for collection and use of your personal information.
We do not knowingly offer or sell products or services to children. Our website is not intended for anyone under 13 years of age.
Constellation does not offer or sell products or services outside the United States and does not sell your personal information.
Constellation provides professional liability insurance products and services to fulfill the insurance needs of customers and potential customers. Collection of your personal information is necessary for employment and insurance applications, to provide quotes, to issue insurance coverage, to administer policies, to investigate or process claims, and to communicate with you about your policy or respond to your inquiries. Constellation may now, or at some future time, collect, cause to be collected, use, disclose or transfer your personal information.
We may ask customers and potential customers for information that is protected under federal laws. For example, we may ask for protected health information that is covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). regulations. Applications for coverage ask about previous claims made against you, the team managing claims may need medical information to provide claim services and we may need medical information to help you minimize risk.
Depending on your relationship with Constellation, the personal information we request from you may not include each category.
The following categories include some illustrative examples of the types of information that may be collected in each category:
- Category 1: Contact information (such as name, address, email, phone number, cellular phone number)
- Category 2: Personal identifiers (such as social security number, state medical license number, national provider ID, claim information, policy information)
- Category 3: Employment/occupation information (such as current or previous employer name, work experience, educational information)
- Category 4: Demographic information (such as age, date of birth, gender)
- Category 5: Health information (such as medical history or records)
- Category 6: Biometric information (such as fingerprints, voice recordings, photographs/images)
- Category 7: Financial information (such as a bank account number, credit score)
- Category 8: Geolocation (such as city, state, zip code, physical location or movements that provide precise location information)
- Category 9: Training credentials (such as dates and location of programs, license status)
- Category 10: Professional actions (such as past claim experience and licensing board actions)
- Category 11: Internet or other online activity (such as IP address, browsing information, device type, operating system duration of session)
- Category 12: Inferences (personal information may be used to create a profile reflecting an individual’s preferences, behaviors, attitudes and abilities)
We may ask you to provide information from some or all these categories when applying for a job, completing an application for coverage, creating or updating online account information, reporting a claim or providing risk mitigation services.
Sources of Information
Constellation may collect your personal information from the following sources:
- You or your designee
- Your employer
- Other insurance entities (such as previous insurers, insurance producers and brokers, third-party administrators)
- Credit agencies
- Government and non-government databases of public information
- Claims adjusters
- Other third-party service providers or business partners
Personal Information About a Minor
Constellation does not knowingly collect personal information from minors without a parent or legal guardian’s consent.
Purpose for Collection
We may collect, use or share your personal information for one or more of the following reasons:
- To deliver and develop products and services. We may use your personal information to deliver purchased products and services. For example, to properly underwrite your policy, provide services, process payments and investigate, evaluate and defend claims. We may use your personal information to evaluate current and new products and to meet the needs of our customers.
- For customer service and to respond to your inquiries. We may use your personal information to respond to your inquiries, deliver services, participate in and trend customer forum topics, deliver and trend assessment results, measure customer satisfaction, and assess our performance.
- For security and information technology. We may use your personal information to manage customer information or develop IT business strategy, services, products and solutions. We may also use your personal information to maintain and protect the integrity and security of our website, systems and databases.
- Communications. We may use your personal information to communicate important information to you about services, policy changes and other communications relating to the administration of your insurance product and services.
- Marketing. We may use your information to deliver marketing content, and to develop marketing and sales strategies and opportunities, request participation in surveys, track campaign success, or notify you about new products and services offerings.
- Internal business purpose. We may use your collected personal information for internal purposes such as to develop strategy or new products and services, perform key back-office processes, data analytics or audits, monitor use of and satisfaction of services, or for enterprise risk purposes.
- Research. We may use personal information collected from you, our business partners or from public sources to conduct research to understand and recommend risk mitigation efforts, outcomes and we may share data with academic and professional entities.
- Regulatory and legal. We may use your personal information to comply with our legal or regulatory obligations, including prevention of fraud.
Constellation may disclose some categories of your personal information for business purposes to the following types of business partners:
- Subsidiary businesses. Your personal information may be shared with Constellation’s current and future affiliates, subsidiaries or organizations.
- Service providers. Constellation may share your personal information with third parties who provide services such as data analytics, identify verification, IT services, advertising, payment processing and other operations as necessary to perform their functions. We require that they implement measures to protect the security and privacy of personal information.
- Commercial partners. Constellation may share your personal information with unaffiliated organizations such as reinsurers, brokers, appointed defense counsel, and claim professionals, who partner with us to deliver services. We do not sell personal information to partners for marketing purposes.
- Other third parties. During the normal course of business, Constellation may share your personal information with payees, organizations, credit bureaus, credit reporting agencies, individuals involved in an incident that is the subject of a claim, prospective purchasers, or other parties in any actual or proposed merger, divesture, restructuring, reorganization or other sale or transfer of some or all of Constellations assets.
- At your direction. Constellation may use and disclose your personal information as you otherwise consent.
Your Rights (California Residents)
Residents of California may have rights and choices on how we collect and use your personal information. You may be entitled to the following rights:
- Right to request. You have the right to request that we disclose to you the categories of personal information collected, the purpose of the collection, and any disclosures of your personal information to third parties. You may also request the specific types of your information collected in the last 12 months. Constellation will respond to your request within 45 days. This right is limited to two requests every 12 months.
- Right to opt-out. You have the right to opt-out of the sale of your personal information.
- Right to delete. You have the right to request that we delete your personal information. This right has limitations under California law.
- Right to non-discrimination. Constellation will not discriminate against you for exercising any of these privacy rights.
Note that California law excludes some transactions and does not apply to some information we collect that is covered by other applicable federal laws, such as Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
Exercising Your Rights
If you are a California resident, you can exercise your rights by submitting an online request here or contact us using the contact information below. To ensure that we protect your personal information, we will ask you to verify your identity before we process any requests. We reserve the right to deny a request if we cannot verify your identity.
You can block, delete, or disable these technologies if your browser, application or device allows you to do so. However, if you decline cookies or other similar technologies, you may not be able to take advantage of certain website features or tools. For more information on how you can block, delete, or disable these technologies, please review your browser or device settings.
Constellation may track aggregate data and navigation patterns about users who log into the secure portal section of our website. Constellation does not track customers when they cross to third-party websites and does not provide information for third-party advertising.
Types of cookies placed on our websites may include:
- Necessary: This type of cookie is necessary for the website to function properly. These cookies can only be disabled through your browser settings.
- Performance: These cookies are used for website analytical purposes. We utilize this type of cookie to understand website performance and enhance our content.
- Functionality: This type of cookie enhances functionality and your ability to properly view content on the website. If you do not allow this type of cookie, some features of the website will not work properly.
- Targeting and advertising: This type of cookie is used to create a profile and to provide personalized content. Constellation does not place targeting or advertising cookies on our websites.
Relation to Third-Party Websites
When using this Website, you may be directed to or select a link to another website, such as to make a payment, for website functionality When using this website, you may be directed to or instructed to select a link to another website, perhaps to make a payment, for website functionality or for social media plugins. We do not control, nor are we responsible for, the privacy practices or content of third-party websites and applications, including social media websites linked to on the Constellation websites. These websites may use their own cookies, and we do not have control over the placement of cookies by websites you visit, even if there is a link on our website.
Do Not Track
Constellation identifies visitors to the website when they enter through Constellation identifies visitors to the website when they enter through a marketing communication and when users log into the customer portal. Constellation does not track customers when they cross to third-party websites and does not respond to Do Not Track signals.
We maintain administrative, technical, and physical safeguards and require our vendors to meet acceptable privacy and security standards. We limit access to your personal information to those workforce members who need to know your information in order to perform their job duties and to provide services to you. We provide ongoing training and regularly test our security technology.
Updating or Correcting Your Information
We take steps to ensure that your personal information is accurate and complete.
In order to process requests for corrections or to provide information about categories of personal information collected, you will be asked to provide information for verification purposes. If the request is about another person, contact us for information on obtaining their written authorization.
Changes to This Privacy Notice
We take steps to ensure that your personal information is accurate and We reserve the right to amend this Privacy Notice at our discretion and at any time. When changes are made, we will post the updated Privacy Notice on our websites and update the effective date. Your continued use of our websites following the posting of changes constitutes your acceptance of such changes.
If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice, how we use personal information, or to exercise your rights, please contact us at:
7701 France Avenue South, Suite 500
Minneapolis, MN 55435-5288
MMIC Insurance, Inc.
77701 France Avenue South, Suite 500
Minneapolis, MN 55435-5288
UMIA Insurance, Inc.
1260 East Stringham Avenue, #325
Salt Lake City, UT 84106
Arkansas Mutual Insurance, Inc.
7701 France Avenue South, Suite 500
Minneapolis, MN 55435-5288